Poison Baits

Unfortunately, poison baits still cause death and destruction to wildlife-both intentionally and unintentionally. Suffering, and death to wildlife resulting from poison baits, rodentcides in particular. This problem continues to grow bigger each day.

We hope that by raising awareness and educating, the problem will decrease over time. Ultimately, we would like to see this issue disappear entirely. Unfortunately, as you and I both know, that is an almost impossible dream. We won’t let that stop us though. Thus we will strive, forward, to reach as many people as possible.

If You Find a Poisoned Carcass

A fox killed as a result of poison baits.

Let’s start off by saying that if you suspect poison is being used to target an animal, or an animal has been harmed/killed by poison, DO NOT TOUCH it. Poison is poison, and if it was enough to kill an animal, it could be harmful to you as well. Also, make sure you do not let any pets or young children near it as well.

Contact the proper authorities. In such a scenario, leaving it alone is best for your safety, but it’s also going to make it easier for the authorities to handle the situation. If a crime has been committed, leaving the evidence untempered with is best.

While you shouldn’t touch it, you can take pictures and video recordings with your cell phone for evidence. Remember OPLR (observe, photograph, log, report).

Why Would You Find a Poisoned Carcass?

Poison baits meant for rodents can kill other wildlife.

You may chance upon a poisoned carcass because it still happens. Wildlife could’ve explicitly been targeted with poison by poachers, or people who view the animals as a nuisance. In these cases, the intent was clear.

Another reason why you might find an animal that has been harmed or killed by poison is it was entirely unintentional. Poison might have been used to target a smaller creature (such as mice). However, any small animals affected by poison will jeopardize any predator that decides to make dinner out of that affected animal. More information can be found here.

We understand that sometimes, you have to deal with pests that just isn’t making life easier on you-hence the needed to get rid of them. Should you find yourself in such a situation, it’s important to consider other methods (like traps) that will not do so much harm to innocent wildlife. Only resort to using poison for pest control if all other options has been exhausted. Keep this in mind the next time you have to deal with pests and remember to remind your friends and family.

You Can Help

We ask for your help with this problem. We know that your time is valuable, but we’re confident that you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t care. Therefore, we ask that you take a few minutes of your time to help us. We ask that you spare a few minutes to read through this page and educate yourself.

We ask that after you leave here, you take it upon yourself to help bring awareness to others and help point them in the direction that will help reduce this problem.  Tell your friends, your family, your co-workers. The next time you run into a situation where animals are being killed because of ignorance and recklessness, kindly bring p the subject to whoever it is that’s causing the harm. Teach them about the damage that poison baits produce and point them in the direction of finding a less harmful alternative.